Your roads, your team. Linking communities and families.
HEAVY EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN OR APPRENTICE
Mainroad Alberta Contracting LP
An exciting opportunity exists at Mainroad Alberta Contracting LP (CMA 515) for an individual to join our team as our Journeyman/woman Heavy Equipment Technician or Apprentice based out of our yard in Ponoka, Alberta. This position reports to the Mechanical Supervisor and is for a 6-month term with the opportunity to be extended.
In 2019, the Government of Alberta awarded two highway maintenance contracts to Mainroad Alberta Contracting commencing on August 1, 2019. Mainroad Alberta Contracting is part of the Mainroad Group which is an employee owned company recognized as a leader in providing innovative, safe and reliable maintenance, products and construction services for civil infrastructure across Canada.
The successful candidate shall have the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) is required.
- Alberta Certificate of Qualification, and/or Interprovincial Ticket as a Mechanic is required (Heavy Equipment Technician is preferred).
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License is required (Class 3 Driver’s License with airbrake endorsement is preferred).
- Completion of the Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program (CVIP) or the ability to successfully complete the CVIP within three (3) months.
- Three (3) years’ experience as a Mechanic.
- Previous experience maintaining and repairing highway maintenance/snow removal equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations.
- Ability to acquire and record accurate information.
- Ability to work shifts (days, afternoons, nights), if required.
- Ability to work call-outs, weekends and overtime, if required.
- Willing to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Capable of performing heavy physical labour.
- Leadership skills and the ability to mentor an apprentice.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Positive attitude with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Dedicated and committed.
Job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures a wide range of Company vehicles and equipment, as assigned, are repaired and/or receive the specified maintenance in accordance with established standards.
- Maintains knowledge and skills at a level which enables ongoing effectiveness in handling all aspects of the work.
- Ensures co-workers, customers and members of the general public receive co-operation, service and respect at all times.
- Provides apprentices and other assigned employees with coaching and mentoring.
- Provides complete and timely records and reports as required by Company policies and guidelines.
- Ensures all assigned tools and equipment are accounted for and are properly maintained.
- Performs other related duties and special assignments as required and assigned.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and resume. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.