Your roads, your team. Linking communities and families.
PROJECT MANAGER | Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting LP
A new and exciting opportunity exists at Mainroad East Kootenay LP (MEK) for a Project Manager. This full-time contract management position (until September 1, 2023) is based out of the Cranbrook office.
Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting has provided highway maintenance services for this area of the province since 2001. The western contract boundary is east of and generally parallel to the Kootenay Lake; southern is the US border; eastern is the Alberta border; and northern is to the roundabout at Radium Hot Springs.
East Kootenay Service Area: 3,673 lane kilometers including 106 bridges (seven of which are bridge-size culverts), 45 retaining walls, 4,100 culverts, four tunnels (one rock tunnel and three pedestrian underpasses), 11,000 signs and 11 rest areas.
The successful candidate shall have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years highway maintenance, construction, or related experience in a management role;
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in civil engineering is preferred;
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License;
- Prior project management experience working on various jobs (highway maintenance and/or construction);
- Minimum 5 years of estimating experience on medium-scale projects.
- Prior equipment operating experience is preferred (i.e. excavator, backhoe, etc.);
- Knowledge of different maintenance and construction methods, sequencing, problem solving and timelines;
- In-depth understanding of the various disciplines involved in the road maintenance process;
- Ability to understand engineering plans/specifications, methods and procedures;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Superior problem solving and negotiating skills;
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with many different people, including owners, other managers, subcontractors, designers, supervisors, and trades people;
- Organization skills, and ability to multi-task and prioritize different projects;
- Ability to solve problems and make critical decisions; and,
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), and Microsoft Project.
Job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participation in winter maintenance activities.
- Overseeing day-to-day maintenance within the contract area;
- Managing crews with co-operation with union foreman.
- Managing various projects as they are bid, or as required;
- Prepare accurate job costing estimates for project bids and quotations;
- Manage all aspects of tendered projects from start-up to project completion, including project scheduling;
- Provide supervision and direction to all Field personnel assigned to projects under direct control;
- Assure personnel assigned to his/her projects adhere to all applicable laws, regulations and other official acts issued by federal, provincial or local governments/agencies;
- Prepare and update monthly contracts in progress (CIP’s) reports; and,
- Build and maintain client relationships.
- Able to travel within the service area daily.
Interested applicants should forward their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that only qualified shortlisted candidates will be contacted.