Your roads, your team. Linking communities and families.
PROJECT TECHNICIAN | Mainroad North Island Contracting LP
A new and exciting opportunity exists at Mainroad North Island Contracting LP (MNI) for a Project Technician. This full-time position will be based out of our Cumberland office and report to the Operations Manager.
North Island encompasses the Comox Valley, Campbell River, Gold River, Port McNeill and Port Hardy, along with the smaller communities and surrounding areas of Port Alice, Alert Bay, Coal Harbour, Holberg, Winter Harbour, Woss, Sayward, Tahsis, and Zeballos. We also service Malcom Island, Read Island, Cortes Island, Quadra Island, Denman Island and Hornby Island.
The North Island Service Area has approximately 3,474 lane kilometres of maintained road, including approximately 983 lane kilometres of numbered highways, eleven Rest Areas, and 312 Structures, including 194 bridges, 74 major culverts, 33 retaining walls and four tunnels.
The successful candidate shall have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 2 years in highway maintenance, construction, or related experience;
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in civil engineering is considered an asset;
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License;
- Prior project management experience working on various jobs (highway maintenance and/or construction);
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), and Microsoft Project.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Superior problem solving and negotiating skills;
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with many different people, including owners, other managers, subcontractors, designers, supervisors, and trades people;
- Organization skills, and ability to multi-task and prioritize different projects;
- Ability to solve problems and make critical decisions;
Job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Personally provides supervision and direction to all Field personnel assigned to projects under direct control.
- Oversees accuracy of the Highway Maintenance Plans in regards to costing, reporting and delivery to plan.
- Completes regular project inspections and quality control.
- Provides technical and contract assistance to the Maintenance Division on an “as and when” basis.
- Recommends to management cost and operational efficiency improvements to maintenance operations.
- Reviews the effectiveness of subcontracts to maintenance contracts.
- Provides basic estimates and supervises tendered projects as required.
- Obtains supplier quotes, ensures materials are ordered and subcontracts as needed.
- Frequently reviews the project scheduling and cost to assure these items remain under control, and takes immediate action to correct the situation should problems develop.
Interested applicants should forward their resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, September 16th at noon. Please note that only qualified shortlisted candidates will be contacted.