Media Fact Sheet
Company Summary / Business Overview
Download our Media Fact Sheet (302KB, PDF)
Who We Are
- Mainroad Group – 17 operating companies: 9 Maintenance, 6 Contracting, 2 Product Companies.
- The Mainroad Group provides products and services to build and maintain civil infrastructure.
Our Vision, by 2020 is to be Western Canada’s leading highways maintenance and infrastructure services contractor, working with our partners to better our communities today and in the future.
- We are a company that cares about our employees and everyone we serve.
- We partner with our customers and provide cost effective solutions with a diverse range of quality products and services.
- We are an ethical corporation that cares about the communities in which we live and work.
- We provide superior results for our shareholders.
The company was founded in 1988 as Mainroad Contracting when the provincial government privatized road and bridge maintenance services within British Columbia. A motivated group of former provincial employees banded together to pool their knowledge, skills, and resources to form what would become one of the most successful roadway maintenance companies in British Columbia. Mainroad is also unique within the industry as a 100% employee owned company.
Nearly 30 years on, through expansions, ventures, and acquisitions, the Mainroad Group celebrates a diversified portfolio of infrastructure businesses with operations throughout British Columbia and Alberta.
Highway Asset Management
- AccuSource Communications
- Mainroad Chinook Contracting
- Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting
- Mainroad Fraser Maintenance
- Mainroad Infrastructure Maintenance
- Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting
- Mainroad Mid-Island Contracting
- Mainroad North Island Contracting
- Mainroad South Island Contracting
- Ontime Sales and Leasing
- Raylec Power
- Raylec Power Alberta
- G&E Contracting
- MRC Total Build | General Contracting Services
- Mainroad Transtronic Services
- Raylec Power
- SPR Traffic Services
General Information / Fast Facts
The Mainroad Group head office is located within the Cloverdale community of Surrey, British Columbia with branch offices located in the following locations:
- Langley (Port Kells)
- Vancouver Island (Langford, Parksville, and Cumberland)
- Calgary, Alberta
Mainroad also maintains various work yards within the communities that it works and serves including:
- Lower Mainland: Burnaby, Surrey (Cloverdale), Langley (Port Kells), and Delta
- South Vancouver Island: Victoria (Langford), Duncan, Cobble Hill, Sooke, Salt Spring Island, Galiano Island, Pender Island, Mayne Island, Saturna Island and Thetis Island.
- Mid Vancouver Island: Parksfille, Port Alberni, Ucluelet, Nanaimo, Gabriola Island, Lasqueti Island
- East Kootenay: Cranbrook, Sparwood, Fairmont, Elko and Yahk
- Calgary, Alberta
The Mainroad Group is 100% employee-owned and has approximately 750+ employees.
Revenue: $167 million
ISO: Most Mainroad Group maintenance and contracting operating companies adhere to:
- ISO 9001:2008 – Quality management system
- ISO 14001:2004 – Environmental management system
- OHSAS 18001:2007 – Occupational Health and Safety
Note: For specific ISO registration information by Mainroad Operating Company, please view the operating company’s Media Fact Sheet. A link is provided on the company’s business profile page at www.mainroad.ca.
COR: Mainroad Group companies operating in British Columbia are COR certified by the BC Construction Safety Alliance. Mainroad Group companies operating in Alberta are COR certified by the Alberta Construction Safety Alliance.
In addition to highway maintenance service contracts with the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure including road and bridge, electrical and winter maintenance, Mainroad holds highway asset management contracts for the Port Mann Bridge, South Fraser Perimeter Road, and the Calgary South East Stoney Trail.
Mainroad has long standing winter maintenance service contracts with local municipalities, air, water and ground transportation companies, and various private organizations.
Mainroad was the FIRST in British Columbia:
Highway maintenance company to become ISO registered in North America: Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting
To use salt brine for winter road maintenance
To design and manufacture its own salt-brine maker
To offer de-icing salt via barge delivery
…and in Canada, to install safety cable barrier fencing on freeways to prevent head-on collisions
Products and Services
EZ Street® cold asphalt
construction | commercial general contracting
electrical tolling systems
road & bridge maintenance
President and CEO: Peter Ashcroft
Secretary/Treasurer: Doug Bjornson
Vice President, Business Development: Anthony Yates
Vice President, Operations: Noel Mankey
Vice President, Human Resources: Richard Sakaki
Director of Operations, Maintenance: Réal Charrois
Director of Operations, Contracting: Dave Williams
Director of Compliance: Bob Nielsen
The Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Awards recognize construction and maintenance companies demonstrating excellence in the categories of grading, paving, bridges and structures, and highway maintenance work throughout the province of British Columbia. The award for excellence in safety innovation was added to the awards in 2012.
2018 – Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting was the Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Award of Excellence in Road and Bridge Maintenance for work in the Lower Mainland service area.
2018 – Mainroad South Island Contracting placed 2nd in the Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Award of Excellence for performance excellence.
2016 – MRC Total Build LP of Langley was the Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Award of Excellence in the grading category, for the Stanley Park Causeway pedestrian and cycling safety improvement project in Vancouver.
2016 – Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting was the Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Award of Excellence recipient in safety innovation, for its High Speed Traffic Control Training
2016 – Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting received Premiers’ Award for Innovation/Organizational Excellence;
2016 – Mainroad South Island Contracting placed 2nd in the Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Award of Excellence for performance excellence.
2013 – Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting selected finalist for Safety Innovation for the Cloverdale Cone Zone Go-Cart Ride.
2012 – Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting was the Deputy Minister’s Contractor of the Year Award recipient in Road and Bridge Maintenance for work in the Lower Mainland service area.
2009 – Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting placed in the top three for the 2009 Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Deputy Minister Contracting Awards for performance excellence.
2008 – Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting placed 2nd in BC at the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s annual Deputy Minister Awards for performance excellence.
Niki Taylor, Communications Specialist
Mainroad Group Communications
17474 56th Avenue
Surrey, BC V3S 1C3
604-575-7032 | email@example.com