Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting is responsible for the maintenance of British Columbia’s Howe Sound-located provincial highways and roads including:
- Highway 1: Cassiar Tunnel to Horseshoe Bay;
- Highway 99: Whistler to Duffy Lake;
- Pemberton Meadows Road;
- Pemberton Portage Road to D’Arcy;
Maintenance yards are located in Burnaby, West Vancouver and Pemberton with additional winter materials storage at Rutherford Creek and Duffy Lake.
Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting is headquartered in Burnaby with supporting facilities located at the Lions Gate Bridge, Cassiar Tunnel, and Pemberton. The Howe Sound crews are experts in their fields of road and bridge operations. We also contract out our services for special projects and to private contractors – allowing our industry peers to benefit from our professionalism and expertise.
The jurisdiction of Service Area #4 covers the Lions Gate Bridge, including the Stanley Park Causeway; TransCanada Highway #1 from Vancouver; just east of the Cassiar Tunnel to Horseshoe Bay; Highway 99 from Function Junction to Duffy Lake; and on support roads around Pemberton and Mount Currie. The Service Area #4 contract once included Highway 99 from Horseshoe Bay to Whistler but the section was re-assigned by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to become part of the major road building project to upgrade the Sea to Sky highway in preparation for the 2010 Olympics.
The Howe Sound contract region features widely varying climate and traffic conditions that present some real challenges to maintain:
- Bridge and tunnel patrol
- Heavy winter traffic, specifically Whistler north
- High speed and volume traffic routes
- Icing in transition regions, heavy snowfalls
- Major bridges and other structures
- Mountainous terrain/elevation changes that results in quickly changing conditions
- Rock falls, slides, snow avalanches, rain storms, winds
Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting shares a geographic region with many other Mainroad businesses allowing our teams to launch and utilize a variety of resources from within the Mainroad network.
- In 2016, Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting received Premiers’ Award for Innovation/Organizational Excellence;
- Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting placed in the top three for the 2009 Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Deputy Minister Contracting Awards for performance excellence.
Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting LP adheres to:
- ISO 9001:2008 – Quality management system
- ISO 14001:2004 – Environmental management system
- OHSAS 18001:2007 – Occupational Health and Safety
- Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting is COR certified by the BC Construction Safety Alliance.
“Your roads — your team, linking communities and families.”