Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting LP
Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting LP is responsible for the maintenance of British Columbia’s provincial highways and roads between Brisco (North), Goatfel (West), Alberta (East) and the U.S. border (South).
Mainroad is not responsible for plowing within municipal boundaries or on forestry service roads.
Maintenance yards are located in Cranbrook, Sparwood, Fairmont, Elko and Yahk.
Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting has provided highway maintenance services for this area of the province since 2001. The western contract boundary is east of and generally parallel to the Kootenay Lake; southern is the US border; eastern is the Alberta border; and northern is approximately 28kms north of Radium. Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting’s office is located in Cranbrook, British Columbia with six supporting maintenance yards listed above.
Key features of the area are the majestic Rockies and the vast Columbia River Valley. The area is wide open with low population in smaller communities linked by valley highways, mountain passes, and supporting road systems. It is said that if you don’t like the weather in the Kootenays wait fifteen minutes. It is mountain country so weather and road conditions can change rapidly and dramatically in any season, but most notably in winter.
A key challenge is accurate weather forecasting and other challenges including:
- Quick deployment of equipment over large areas
- Rock falls/slides/snow avalanches/rain storms/winds
- Icing in transition regions/heavy snowfalls
- Mountainous terrain/elevation changes
East Kootenay Service Area: 3,673 lane kilometers including 106 bridges (seven of which are bridge-size culverts), 45 retaining walls, 4,100 culverts, four tunnels (one rock tunnel and three pedestrian underpasses), 11,000 signs and 11 rest areas.
- continuous rest area maintenance and garbage pick up
- ditch maintenance at various locations
- dust and drainage control
- grading on gravel roads
- mowing of vegetation
- pavement marking
- paving in numerous areas
- road and bridge maintenance
- road base repairs
- shoulder widening
- sign installation and repairs
- snow removal and winter operations
- various construction and general contracting activities
- Over 700 animals removed from service area highways annually
- 8,700 hours of call centre operation hours
Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting is located close to another member of the Mainroad Group family, Salvador Ready Mix Concrete. Both companies have operations that span across the south eastern tip of British Columbia with yard locations at transportation hubs and construction sites in developing areas.
Mainroad East Kootenay Contracting LP is COR certified by the BC Construction Safety Alliance.